CDA/ HARP-F activities linkage with Myanmar Action Plan for Disaster Risk Reduction (MAPDRR)
• Priority Action: Tsunami, Floods, Cyclone and Storm Surge risk assessment of Ayeyarwady Region and Rakhine State
• Priority Action: Nation-wide disaster awareness programme with focus on people at most risk
• Priority Action: Mainstreaming disaster and climate risk considerations into village development planning and implementation including, infrastructure, livelihoods, agriculture and environment
• Priority Action: Improved disaster response system in Myanmar
• Priority Action: Improving end-to-end multi-hazard early warning systems, through strengthening of communication networks and early warning dissemination procedures and protocols
• Priority Action: Health sector preparedness for response and recovery through disaster risk management plans including epidemics and disease control, mass casualty management system and psychosocial support
• Priority Action: Comprehensive flood risk management through improved forecasting, monitoring, preparedness and mitigation in priority river basin areas of Myanmar
Protection for River Bank and Embankment Erosion in Kanaung Town, Myanaung Township
An emergency respond meeting was conducted by the General Administration Department officer, U Aung Chan, Quarter's Administration officer, and elders. The disaster management committee members were also participated in this meeting. They are facilitated for the capacity building for disaster risk reduction by CDA, Community Development Association, project. The project installed the CBDRM (Community Based Disaster Risk Management), EWS (Early Warning System) and Simulation Drill exercises to the members. They have been prepared and be ready to respond the disaster as a result and impact of capacity building program.
On 26th June 2020, the water level of Ayeyarwaddy River had gone up to the danger level of 1194 cm near Kanaung Township in Ayeyarwaddy Region. Out of the 5 quarters, 4 encountered river bank erosion. The river bank erosion has caused major human and economic disasters than the annual flooding. The loss or the discomfort associated with the flooding is temporary but the loss of land due to river bank erosion is permanent and has a long term impact on the economy of the region and its people. The resistance of embankment is so low that the Irrigation Department has released the order banning all sort of residency. On the other hand, the community are almost casual labor and migrant workers. They have worry for loss of their property and livelihood stabilization. The community tried some minor repairs to maintain the embankment on their own every year. There are 600 Households and 2400 population in 4 Wards. In this raining season, the river bank erosion is more severe than the previous years.
The Village Disaster Management Member responded to the river bank erosion in collaboration with GAD officer, Fire services department, Police, Military and Civil Society Organization as early action. Totally, length of 900 ft embankment is repaired by bamboo, sand bags and plastic sheets. The project has supported all the necessary materials for emergency prevention of river bank erosion. The VDMC are practical exercise to the evacuation and safety process for community. The committee members were addressing the early warning to the community and taking the water level record as daily during emergency period. The project facilitated the developing of action plan for DRR in pervious project timeline. At present, the committee members have more awareness on disaster responses and preparedness activities, which should be acted by themselves. And the community had suffered the effect of disaster at first. This emergency protection of river embankment has taken by 2 weeks by performance of VDMC members. Because of the performance of disaster management committee members, 2,400 people from 600 households of the 4 quarters were safe from disaster of flood and river bank erosion. U Cho Cho, Township GAD Chief Officer, and the assistant director of Irrigation Department reflected on the project approaches that the capacity building interventions are meaningful for not only the village committee members but for the community as well.